Saving and investing where your child an American citizen in the UK

Saving for a sibling or children in the UK is a wise decision but if they are American citizens or passport holders it will be more complicated. U.S. persons often face challenges when trying to open investment accounts in the UK due to a combination of U.S. and UK financial regulations. Additional complications arise for

Edale is a financial adviser firm that can assist with overcoming these pains and help set up accounts for your children, whether its a cash savings account to get presents paid in or for money from Santa or the Easter Bunny; through to stocks and shares portfolio. We can help parents with financial advice and create accounts for your child, sibling or children, irrespective they are American citizens and living in the UK.

We are financial advisors here to help with general savings and tax-efficient investment plans that are US and UK tax compliant.

Complication your children with US passports face with savings and investments in the UK

FATCA Compliance: The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) requires foreign financial institutions to report the financial information of U.S. persons to the IRS. Many UK banks and investment firms may find these reporting requirements onerous, leading them to be hesitant or even refuse to open accounts for U.S. persons.

Regulatory Burden: The compliance costs and regulatory burden associated with servicing U.S. clients can be high for UK financial institutions. This includes the need to understand and adhere to both UK and U.S. regulations, which can be complex and time-consuming.

Tax Reporting Requirements: U.S. persons are subject to U.S. tax on their global income, including any income from investments made in the UK. This requires them to file additional tax forms and potentially pay U.S. taxes on their UK investments, complicating their tax situation.

Risk of Dual Taxation: While the U.S. and UK have a tax treaty to prevent double taxation, navigating the treaty can be complex. There’s a risk of dual taxation if the investor does not correctly manage their tax liabilities in both countries.

Limited Investment Options: Some UK investment products may not be suitable or available to U.S. persons due to either U.S. or UK regulations. For instance, many UK-based mutual funds are considered Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICs) under U.S. tax law, which can lead to unfavourable tax treatment for U.S. investors.

Banking Policies: Individual banks or investment firms in the UK may have their own policies that restrict services to U.S. persons. These policies might stem from the institution’s risk management strategy, where they may view U.S. clients as high-risk due to the aforementioned regulatory complexities.

Exchange Rate Risk: Investing in a different currency can introduce exchange rate risk. Fluctuations in the GBP/USD exchange rate can affect the value of the U.S. person’s investments in the UK.

Cultural and Practical Barriers: Differences in investment culture, market practices, and time zones can also pose practical challenges for U.S. persons managing investments in the UK.

Investment options we can offer Americans in the UK

Edale can advise a wide range of tax-efficient wrappers for American children in the UK. These are most commonly Junior ISA (Cash and Stocks & Shares): enabling clients to invest in a tax-efficient way on behalf of a child.

Cash Junior ISA for American child

  • Purpose: Allows saving money in the form of cash.
  • Interest: Earns tax-free interest, similar to a standard savings account.
  • Risk Level: Low risk as the capital is secure (subject to the solvency of the bank or building society).
  • Accessibility: The funds are locked until the child turns 18, except in exceptional circumstances.
  • Contribution Limits: There is an annual limit on how much can be contributed. For the tax year 2022/2023, this limit is £9,000. This limit is shared between any Cash and Stocks & Shares Junior ISAs the child might have.

Stocks & Shares Junior ISA for American child

  • Purpose: Invests in stocks, shares, bonds, and other investment vehicles.
  • Returns: Potential for higher returns compared to a Cash ISA, but with more risk.
  • Risk Level: Higher risk, as the value of investments can go up as well as down.
  • Accessibility: Like the Cash ISA, funds cannot usually be accessed until the child turns 18.
  • Contribution Limits: Shares the same annual contribution limit as the Cash Junior ISA.
  • Management: Can be managed by a parent or guardian, but the investment choices are often broader than in a Cash ISA.

Common Features of Both Types:

  • Age Eligibility: Available for children under 18 who live in the UK.
  • Tax Benefits: No tax on interest or investment gains.
  • Ownership: The account is in the child’s name, but a parent or guardian must open and manage the account until the child turns 16.
  • Transferability: Funds or investments can be transferred between different Junior ISA providers.
  • Conversion at 18: On the child’s 18th birthday, the Junior ISA automatically converts into an adult ISA, allowing the child to continue benefiting from tax-free savings or investments.


  • Long-Term Commitment: Funds are locked away until the child’s 18th birthday.
  • Investment Risks: The Stocks & Shares Junior ISA carries investment risks, and the value can fluctuate.
  • Contribution Limits: Total contributions across both types of Junior ISAs must not exceed the annual limit.
  • No Withdrawals: Other than in exceptional circumstances, funds cannot be withdrawn until the child is 18.

Parents and guardians considering opening a Junior ISA should think about their long-term savings goals for their child, their risk tolerance, and how the ISA fits into their overall financial planning.

Our Happy Clients

“Excellent! Great advisor. Lawrie is a great advisor, he has shown us clearly and simply how financial instruments work and what options we have. He has dedicated all the necessary time and has been proactive.”​

Jonathan, Operations Director

“My complications ended when I came across Edale”​

Oil and Gas Engineer

“First class service. Have only been with Edale for a short while but so far they have been very attentive and demonstrated a clear understanding of my financial planning requirements. Very impressed.”​

Director of Group HR

Financial advice that solves your child’s need and complications

Edale focuses on supporting savings for children to give them a financial start in life. The technical difficulties to invest as a child should not be limited

Product to suit your child’s residency and citizenship

We can advise a UK personal pension plan and individual savings account that is designed especially for holders of US Passports.

Flexible amounts with no minimum

We advise clients of all sizes and wealth. From the shopfloor to the boardroom. There is no minimum despite being in a unique situation.

US tax efficiency for UK pension savings

The UK + US tax treaty, allows for efficient savings and access where other financial institutions may turn you away.

Invest in compliance with UK and US rules

Few financial service providers and tax-free savings accounts allow US citizens. We can advise you and ensure tax efficiency for your child’s incestemtm. Everyone’s needs are different so to discuss your case call us or message us.

Helping US passport holders with UK savings

We can help a range of American and American passport holdings resident in the UK.

Dual citizens

Americans living in Britain

Brits with US passports living in UK

Contact edale easily

Book an appointment

  • Appointment Info

  • Your Info

Scroll to Top